Welcome to High Tea 2019
The High Tea Weekend started out life as a crossover weekend - originally called High Tea & Whiskey, it was half Contra, half English. It was English the way contra dancers like it - full of energy and joyous sponteneity, and contra the way English dancers like it - with spit and polish and interestingly varied music.
A few years ago the whole weekend (except for Sunday night) became devoted to English Country Dancing. We still fancy high energy and sponteneity along with our spit and polish, but perhaps lean a bit more towards the graceful and elegant now.
Here's a flyer for you to print out. (Okay, it's still the flyer from 2018. We're working on it...)
Labor Day Weekend August 30 - September 1, 2019
Joanna Reiner Wilkinson
Joanna Reiner Wilkinson is a Philadelphia-based English Country Dance caller known for the clarity of her teaching, and for her dedication to encouraging people to become better dancers. Joanna was one of our very first High Tea callers, and we are simply delighted to have her back.
The Ladies at Play band - Miranda Arana, Shanda McDonald and Kathy Dagg, with Martha Edwards
The Band has not yet been chosen for 2019, but we know The Ladies can't be there :-(
We'll let you know as soon as possible who the wonderful players will be!
Friday, August 30, 2019 at the Monday Club
- 8-11 pm English Country Dance, calling by Joanna Reiner Wilkinson
Saturday, August 31, 2019 at the Monday Club
- 10 am-12 pm English workshop with Joanna Reiner Wilkinson
- 12-2 pm Lunch on your own
- 2-4 pm English workshop with Joanna Reiner Wilkinson
- 4-8 pm Nap, dinner on your own, dress
- 8-11 pm English Country Dance Ball (dressy attire) with Joanna Reiner Wilkinson
- 11 pm After Party at the Monday Club
Sunday morning-Afternoon, September 1, 2019
- 11am-1:30pm Potluck Brunch at Mary Schmidt's house in Kirkwood
- 2:30-4pm Callers Workshop at the Monday Club $5
Callers bring your cards! Dancers bring your feet!
Sunday evening, September 1, 2019 at the Monday Club
- 7-10 pm Contra Dance - the regular Childgrove Country Dancers Sunday contra dance at the Monday Club ($8)
While this dance is not, strictly speaking, a part of the weekend, there's a tradition that many weekend attendees also enjoy contra dancing, so they stay, and we all have a blast! Monday, September 2, 2019 is Labor Day - you can sleep in, and still make it back home before work on Tuesday.